Monday, December 12, 2016

Just a writer's thoughts.



Posted by Wayne G. Barber

  I have been a published author for a while now and I still put my pants on one leg at a time and realize that to sell your book you have to work and promote and constantly build your brand. The exception is if you fulfilled your bucket list of a one hit wonder or in some cases a memoir to document your life for future family generations.
  With self publishing and other user friendly web-sites such as Create Space or the other many fine publishing business's in the market and thousands of books flood the market every year and make it hard for libraries or book store buyers to make a decision to buy your product. What's my profit split ?,  can I return it after x amount of days ?, can I discount your suggested price ? Are you available for a book signing ?
  On Saturday Dec.3,2016 our Association of Rhode Island authors group held our fourth annual Holiday Book Expo at the Rhodes on the Pawtuxet with about 130 authors on display.

I learned a lot about table presentation from this assortment of authors. I observed more interest and sales from the authors who were creative and put the extra effort in their selling space. We all had the same square feet and the table cloths were provided. Some had a single book and some had up to 17 and all genres were available to purchase. We had a few people come by to match a face to my radio voice on our three programs and others who had purchased a book at one of my other many retail outlets and wanted a autograph or had a quality question about our association or the books content.
I am amazed every day of my life on the intelligence of any author who write. Our freedom in our great Country provide us with this right to do this and I cannot imagine the writers in other parts of our planet who cannot express the same.
We have the choice of a essay, letter to the editor, homework, short story, book, movie screenplay, poems or TV stories.
We have over 2,000 options every time I turn on Verizon Fios and how many times I or my wife Susan of 49 trips around the sun say to each other, there's nothing good on tonight.
Well now I think there's finally a very excellent well written show on NBC named, " This is Us" We started watching after our favorite show the " Voice" and now are addicted to watch each episode to find out how the family will play out on screen.
Hat's off to creator Dan Fogelman for sticking to his screenplay and fighting to get a network to listen. The show discuss's every current family issue in our Country from drug use, obesity, honesty, job stagnation and racism as a child and in your adult life.
It's kind of like a collection of your home movies played out of order and I think the intelligent viewers can relate to their own life with a mental playback that is stored in all of our complex brains.
Thank God their is now hope for the others networks to stay away from police stories or every other new cable program having something to do with Alaska. Hat's off to PBS, HBO, and now the History Channel with it's team of excellent writers with the Hatfields and McCoys, Vikings, Walking Dead.
Sterling K. Brown ( Randall Brown"is emerging as the number one black actor in the World and his father " William" on the 'This is Us", Ron Cephas Jones who nails his casted role as a drug related musician who is counting his last days with cancer and who had to give up his child for the best and is tracked down by his son like Ancestry. com commercial and again tops that by coming out too in a best episode on a meeting of habitual drug addicts meeting similar to AAA
Now that this small story is finished I thank God everyday that I can still express myself in a positive way and that the blog is on file for ever.
It' never to late to Write.

What do like on TV or Cable ?


No comments:

Post a Comment